Get ready for another scorcher next week, with temperatures in and around the GTA set to soar. Here are a few ways to beat the heat
Keeping cool in the summer in Toronto can seem like an impossible feat if you don’t have air conditioning in your condo. This summer is predicted to be one of the warmest in Toronto’s history, and across other parts of Ontario. Despite this, there are simple, cost-effective steps you can take to ensure you remain comfortably cool in your condo throughout the dog days of summer.
- Stay hydrated and make sure you are drinking plenty of water throughout the day. Adding ice keeps your water cooler for longer.
- While getting an air conditioner is the obvious go to when the mercury surges, you can invest in a really good fan (or 2).
- Close the doors to rooms you will not frequent throughout the day.
- Keep the lights off during the day to prevent unnecessary heat from accumulating in your unit.
- Turn off appliances and electronics you won’t be using anytime soon.
- It is also a good idea to keep your condo blinds closed during the day. The less sun you have beating into your suite, the cooler it will be.
- Eat out! Cooking at home when it’s hot can be unbearable, so hit a nice air-conditioned restaurant.
- Use lightweight linens on your bed, such as cottons (avoid nylon).
- Same deal with sleepwear. If being naked isn’t your thing, opt for breathable clothing.
- Try placing a wet towel over your neck while watching TV or working at the computer. This will help cool you down.
- Try filling up a hot water bottle and popping in the freezer to create a bed-friendly ice pack.
- If you have fans, be creative. Don’t fall into the trap of having the fan pointing directly at you while you sleep. If you have a box fan, point it out the windows so that hot air is pushed out, and adjust ceiling fan settings so the blades run counter clockwise, pulling hot air up and out instead of just twirling it around the room.
- Go swimming! Many condos in the Toronto area have an indoor or outdoor pool. Take advantage of this and take a dip when the heat rises.
- Take a shower! This will help cool you down when you’re stuck at home with no A/C and you need a quick cool-off.
Our Final Tip?
Enjoy your outdoor condo patio in the cooler evenings! Get a glass of wine, and a nice comfy chair, and enjoy the cool touch of your flooring. This can help cool you down. If you don’t have patio deck tiles or pavers, you may want to invest in them. They can make a big difference!