KANDY Outdoor Flooring Maintenance
Cleaning and Maintaining Your Outdoor Flooring
You’ve made a great decision to invest in your outdoor space. Your new outdoor flooring has expanded your home experiences by adding new usable square footage you didn’t have – or want – access to before.
Now you may be turning your attention to ways to protect your investment and ensure you can continue to enjoy that new outdoor floor for years to come.
How much maintenance to do, how often, and how much cleaning is a very personal decision. What works for you may be quite different from what works for someone else.
Click here to download our comprehensive cleaning and maintenance guide.
Keeping Your Floors in Great Shape Is Easy
To keep your KANDY Outdoor Flooring clean, which will help it continue to look and feel spectacular under your feet, here are two simple tips that work with every one of KANDY’s outdoor flooring products.
- Spot clean spills immediately to avoid stains or damage. Use soapy warm water with a light detergent and a soft scrub brush to clean away any grease, drink, or food spills. And if your flooring has a grain, remember to scrub with the grain, not against it.
- Cleaning the entire surface of your outdoor flooring periodically will enhance the enjoyment of your new outdoor space and will also add further protection against mold, mildew, and dirt buildup.
Cleaning Your Outdoor Flooring
The right cleaning method will depend on which type of outdoor flooring you have.
1. General Cleaning Instructions for Granite and Man-made
- Sweep or vacuum the outdoor flooring area so it is clean of all debris.
- Dislodge any debris between the slats.
- Spray or rinse down the balcony with water. If you are unable to do this, use a floor mop with warm water to moisten the surface. Doing this helps to remove any loose dust or debris remaining after you sweep.
- Mix a cleaning solution, or any other non-corrosive, non-abrasive cleaning product, with water in a bucket. Test a small corner of the balcony with the cleansing solution first to be sure it is compatible with your product.
- After cleaning, rinse your entire balcony with water, making sure to completely remove the cleaning solution, and allow the floor to air dry.
2. Cleaning Exotic Hardwoods before Applying Oil with UV Protection
The cleaning process when using an oil treatment is basically the same as the aforementioned general cleaning instructions. It is important to note however, that the wood needs to be completely dry before applying the UV Protection.
Choosing the right UV Conditioning Oil for Exotic Hardwood
Our exotic hardwoods are extremely hard, dense and contain high levels of naturally-occurring resins. The best kind of UV protection for these woods is a synthetic oil product with UV protection added. Regular oil or multi-purpose sealants will not give you the results you desire. They don’t soak into the wood properly and may leave you with a splotchy appearance that can peel over time.
Things to Note for Exotic Hardwoods
- Fading over time is normal. How much fading will occur and how fast will entirely depend on sun exposure.
- Rest assured that fading does not represent deterioration of the wood – it is just the colour fading due to the sun’s UV rays.
- KANDY’s exotic hardwood outdoor flooring will give you decades of enjoyment if you take good care of them.
- Exotic hardwood has the longest lifespan of any wood utilized for outdoor flooring or decking.
- Exotic hardwoods can maintain their structural integrity anywhere from 15 to 50 years.
Applying a Sealer to Granite & Composite
Granite is an extremely porous material and will benefit from a sealing and resealing treatment every 1-3 years. Sealing composite is optional as well.
Canadian Collection Maintenance
All you ever need to do to our signature Canadian Collection outdoor flooring is clean. That’s it.
Let Us Do The Maintenance for You
If you do not want to do all of the work involved with your flooring maintenance but still want the results, consider KANDY’s full-service maintenance program, and let us do all the work for you. Contact us for more information.
Contact Us for More Information
Your outdoor space is important to you, and your complete satisfaction is important to us.
Click here to download our free KANDY DIY Maintenance Guide.